The Spent Goods Company, Beer Bread Sourdough Loaf (650g)
Regular price $7.99
The crust is chewy, and the inside is light and moist. The best sourdough bread you'll have in years — Try it out. You won’t be disappointed.
Spent Goods’ Beer Bread Sourdough Loaf was voted one of the top breads by NOW Magazine readers and featured on CBC, Edible Magazine, and BlogTO.
It’s a great tasting sourdough due to the 100% naturally leavened process over 48 hours that enhances flavour, nutritional value, promotes digestion and increases shelf life.
The Spent Goods Beer Bread Sourdough Loaf uniqueness comes from incorporating barley grains that have already been used to make beer. By diverting these ‘spent’ grains, you are directly helping to reduce greenhouse gases had it been disposed.
- 100% Vegan (e.g., no eggs, no dairy)
- NO preservatives or additives
- NO commercial yeast and naturally leavened
Ingredients: organic wheat flour, water, organic whole wheat flour, organic whole khorasan (kamut) flour, brewery barley grains, untreated unbleached bread flour, salt, and non-commercial sourdough culture.
The end to end process to make this naturally leavened sourdough bread takes over 2 days:
- The Spent Goods Company build a mature starter (aka levain) for approx. 10-12 hrs with a 10% inoculation.
- The mature levain is then used to inoculate a younger levain with a higher inoculation (50% inoculation for 3-4hrs)
- While the young levain ferments, they mix the flour and water in the recipe together and let it hydrate (autolyse).
- Once the young levain is sufficiently developed it’s incorporated into the autolyse and the dough is mixed. Salt and additional water are added toward the end of this process.
- Then the dough ferments at room temp for 3-4hrs and is folded onto itself at regular intervals.
- Once the loaves are shaped, they go into a fridge for a cold proof lasting roughly another 10-12hrs before baking.
- Now, do see why it tastes so good?
Made in Toronto by Spent Goods, Drake Commissary with leftover barley grains from Henderson Brewing Co.
DID YOU KNOW BARLEY GRAINS ARE:
Good for your Health – Considered one of the healthiest whole food grains.
Studies show it’s protective against Breast Cancer, Type 2 Diabetes, Gallstones, Heart failure and lowers cholesterol.
Good Nutrition – Double the fiber and protein; Less gluten (but NOT gluten-free) and low glycemic compared to white flour bread.
HOW IS THE BARLEY SOURCED?
In the craft brewing process, once the barley has been boiled to release sugar, the grains are considered ‘spent’ and traditionally provided as animal feed or disposed – 185 million kgs of brewery grains are disposed in Ontario every year.
Instead, if we took those spent grains and made food with it, we could feed every Ontarian 2 loaves of bread every week!
These brewery grains have twice the amount of fibre and protein compared to wheat (it’s the reason it’s used as animal feed) – Fibre is ideal for reducing cholesterol and is one of the whole grains listed on the Canadian food guide.
We believe you can do something about climate change (and your heart) on a daily basis, simply by eating The Spent Goods Beer Bread Sourdough Loaf!